- This classes has passed.
Understanding Developmental Disabilities
08/21 - 09/17
This course explores various developmental disabilities, including the signs and symptoms that may impact an individual throughout their lifetime. This course provides caregivers with information to understand and meet the unique needs of children with developmental disabilities Resources, services, and educational supports will be discussed, as well as the impact caring for a child with developmental disabilities has on families.
- Discuss the prevalence of abuse, neglect, and trauma among children with developmental disabilities compared to the general population
- Describe of the parts of the brain that are affected by different developmental disabilities
- Identity resources and supports for families caring for children with developmental disabilities
- Recognize and describe different types of developmental disabilities and related symptoms
- Discuss social, cognitive, physical, and emotional facets of children with developmental disabilities
- Explain how developmental disabilities impact the child, family, and society
- Discuss challenges facing birth parents with developmental disabilities
- Describe the special education process in New Hampshire
- Discuss strategies for supporting a child’s educational goals
- Discuss ways to support birth families in better understanding the needs of a child with developmental disabilities