- This classes has passed.
Understanding Birth Families
07/24 - 08/20
This course explores the benefits of working with birth families and examines birth family/foster family shared parenting partnerships. Topics include identifying opportunities to partner with birth families, understanding how parents’ past trauma may influence their ability to form trusting relationships and manage conflicts, and discussing techniques to model positive parenting techniques. Strategies for managing conflict resolution are also discussed.
- Define the principles and benefits of shared parenting
- Describe family-engagement techniques that enhance a parent’s ability to care for their child
- Identify stages of family development theory and benefits of solution-based questioning as part of family engagement
- Identify opportunities for partnering with birth parents
- Define the roles of the resource parent, the CPSW, and the birth parents in shared parenting
- Recognize the impact a parent’s past trauma may have on their ability to form a trusting relationship, manage conflict, and implement conflict management strategies
- Demonstrate strategies and opportunities for modeling and other instructional parenting techniques
- Recommend activities to increase or improve interaction between father and child
- Develop and analyze Shared Parenting Plans