- This classes has passed.
Transitions: Preparing for Placement Changes
07/17 - 08/13
This course explores the impact planned and unplanned moves have on children in foster care, and provides caregivers with strategies to ease transitions. Topics include understanding how moves may reactivate emotional and behavioral responses to separation and placement, and how to discuss moves in an age-appropriate and sensitive manner. Exploring the use of transitional objects, and understanding the impact of transitions on caregivers, their families, as well as birth families will also be discussed.
- Identify stressors inherent in planned and unplanned moves including: disruption, reunification with the birth family, placement with relatives, independent living and placement in foster/adoptive homes or residential treatment
- Develop strategies to discuss reasons for moves in a sensitive and age-appropriate manner, and provide emotional support and reassurance to the child/youth in care
- Employ techniques that prepare the child/youth for transitions through the use of age-appropriate activities, including: creating Lifebook’s, telling stories, encouraging discussion, and role-playing situations involving issues of transition
- Discuss how moves reactivate emotional and behavioral responses to separation and placement and develop strategies to manage behavior and help children/youth cope with transition
- Recognize variables included in planning, arranging, and coordinating a move, including packing, providing information to the new caregiver, participating in preplacement visits, and arranging formal goodbyes
- Describe ways to assist children and youth in transferring attachments to another family or other individuals, and, when appropriate, maintain contact
- Discuss the importance of transitional objects when helping children adjust to placement changes
- Develop strategies to manage one’s response to a child or youth leaving foster or group care, as well as strategies to assist family members or residential staff with the transition
- Discuss the impact of placement transitions on birth families and articulate strategies to partner with birth families to manage transitions