- This classes has passed.
Strategies for Supporting Youth with Challenging Behaviors
07/24 - 08/06
This course explores the impact abuse and neglect has on children’s behaviors. Participants will examine ways to reduce and eliminate troublesome youth behaviors through utilizing a strengths based approach. This course also discusses caregiver stress and stress management techniques.
- Understand typical teen brain development to explain challenging and risky behaviors
- Summarize the psychological impact resulting from abuse and/or neglect, including how children view themselves
- Recognize the variety of negative behaviors that traumatized children may engage in
- Discuss ways to ensure the safety of the child, caregiver, and their family
- Examine how the negative behavior of traumatized children can be a subconscious effort to recreate situations for which they are familiar
- Explain and understand how to use a strength-based approach with youth
- Demonstrate effective methods of containing and reshaping unwanted behaviors, increasing effective communication, fostering negotiation skills, and promoting positive interpersonal encounters
- Explain how negative behaviors impact caregivers and identify strategies to counteract these effects