- This classes has passed.
Promoting Healthy Eating Habits in Children
08/07 - 09/03
This course examines the importance of encouraging and modeling healthy nutrition for children. Participants will discuss strategies to promote healthy eating, manage food and feeding-related issues, and develop an understanding of food safety and nutritional information. Community resources will be explored, as well as opportunities to share healthy eating tips and meal ideas.
- Identify the principles of optimal nutrition for children from infancy through adolescence
- Distinguish nutrition fact from nutrition folklore
- Recognize signs and symptoms of childhood and adolescent nutritional problems including food illness, allergies, and communicate information to the caseworker, DCYF nurse, and physician
- Discuss strategies for managing food and feeding-related issues
- Identify key nutritional components on food labels
- Follow basic food safety and sanitation guidelines
- Translate the science of nutrition to life situations, as a way to meet the children’s individual nutritional needs
- Identify community resources available to assist caregivers with children’s nutritional needs