- This classes has passed.
Positive Connections with Birth Families
08/07 - 08/13
This course examines the role and importance of birth families in the lives of children in care. Participants explore the benefits to the child and caregivers in forming positive relationships with birth families. This course discusses approaches to engage family members to promote family connections, including utilizing effective communication strategies. Identifying family strengths and examining differences in culture, beliefs and values will be discussed.
- Define a strength-based approach to working with families and recognize how using this approach can benefit the child, birth family, and foster family
- Discuss avenues to identify differences in culture, values, and background in order to create a constructive relationship with birth families
- Explain the importance of the birth families to the child in care
- Describe strategies to engage family members in activities that promote family connections for life, including when parents are incarcerated
- Outline effective communication strategies to promote two-way lines of communication and avoid misunderstandings with birth families