- This classes has passed.
Introduction to Special Education
08/14 - 09/03
This course provides caregivers with an overview of the special education process in New Hampshire. Participants will gain knowledge of special education law, including current trends and philosophies within the field that will empower caregivers to remain active members of children’s support teams. This course also discusses opportunities to partner with birth families and provides resources to support secondary students in the transition planning process.
- Describe different categories of educational disabilities and related support services.
- Describe the purpose and development of an Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Identify steps of special education process from referral to IEP monitoring, including NH-specific processes
- Review the purposes of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, 2004) and how it relates to the 504 Plan
- Examine roles of the birth parent, foster and/or adoptive parent, and educational surrogate in the special education process, and identify partnership opportunities
- Discuss due process rights and responsibilities
- Identify resources and supports available in the transition planning process for secondary students