- This classes has passed.
Caring for Children with Emotional Disabilities
08/07 - 09/03
This course will provide information about emotional and behavioral disorders, and will offer a range of practical strategies and recommendations for managing the behavioral and emotional needs of children and youth with these disorders. Topics include identifying characteristics of mental health and neurological disorders that may be observed in children and youth in care, understanding the unique challenges adolescents face, and recognizing local supports available to support children and youth dealing with emotional and behavioral disorders.
- Identify the characteristics of mood disorders, including Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Bipolar Disorder in children
- Identify the characteristics of Psychosis and Schizophrenia in children
- Identify the characteristics of behavioral disorders in children
- Describe the unique mental health challenges that adolescents face
- Identify the characteristics of Conduct Disorder
- Identify the types of therapy available to treat emotional and behavioral disorders in children and adolescents
- Identify supports in the local community for children and caregivers dealing with emotional and behavioral disorders
- Demonstrate appropriate techniques and strategies for communicating with children and adolescents with emotional and/or behavioral disorders
- Use an appropriate set of skills or techniques to de-escalate a child or adolescent with emotional and/or behavioral disorder(s)
- Identify situations to use one or more of discussed techniques
- Recognize signs of compassion fatigue and secondary trauma, and identify healthy coping strategies for caregivers