- This classes has passed.
Behavioral Health Medications: A Guide for Caregivers
08/14 - 09/03
This course discusses the safe and effective use of psychotropic medications for children and youth in NH DCYF custody or guardianship. Topics include understanding psychotropic medications, their uses, and alternative treatment options. This course will discuss the process of informed consent and birth parents’ legal rights. Participants will develop an understanding of different classes of psychotropic medications, their side effects, as well as guidelines for administering and monitoring their use.
- Explore psychotropic medications and develop an understanding of why they are prescribed.
- Explore how trauma can play a role in children and adolescents’ behavior and how to best support a child with a trauma background.
- Discuss other treatment options that can be used prior to the use of psychotropic medications and/or along with their use.
- Describe what informed consent is and identify members who should be part of the treatment team.
- Develop an understanding of key topics to discuss with the prescribing doctor about psychotropic medications.
- Understand the importance of talking with children and adolescents in care about psychotropic medications.
- Define the Psychotropic Medication Utilization Parameters for Children in Foster Care
- Describe how to monitor a child for possible side effects or to see if the psychotropic medication is effective.
- Explain what to do regarding concerns with psychotropic medications prescribed to children in your care.